Stumbling Blocks or Stepping stones?

11:42 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Sometimes in life there are what some may call "Stumbling blocks"...

At times I find myself contemplating all the past so called stumbling blocks that I have over come...and I've come to realize that they weren't stumbling blocks at all...perhaps they seemed that way at the time, however really what they were, were stepping stones leading me where I needed to be.

Still the knowledge of this fact doesn't always make it easy when things come up. If I could just keep in mind that the trials that are happening, or that will come into my life are going to help me to grow, they will help me reach the potential that I am meant for.

Sometimes I just wish that life didn't place so many stepping stones in my path all at once expecting me to take them all on at the same time...

The realization that they ARE in fact stepping stones and not stumbling blocks didn't just come to me. . . A few years ago as a Junior in high school an amazing seminary teacher, Brother Laing, taught me this principle. He gave me a quote from President Gorden B. Hinckley that basically said that sometimes life is hard, but there is no point sitting around waiting for things to get better. We have to get up and do something to change our situation...change our attitude. 

Today I was feeling particularly frustrated with life and was having a rather pathetic pity party for myself and remembered what Brother Laing taught me... I couldn't be more grateful for all the incredible conversations I have had with this spiritual giant...the many times I was blessed with a willing ear, and shoulder to cry on...Today while pitying myself I really started to think about what Brother Laing said to me...that I need to get up and do what needs to be done... To stop thinking so negatively about my seemingly HUGE "stumbling blocks"...and start asking what I'm supposed to be learning from these experiences so that I can look at them as stepping stones to help me grow.

0 comments: